Main Street Approach™
Downtown Olympia like many of Washington State’s communities, like thousands of communities across the country, are using the National Main Street Center’s Main Street Approach™ effectively to address the complex and changing issues facing the downtown business environment. The Main Street Approach™ provides a flexible framework that puts the traditional assets of downtown, such as unique architecture and locally owned businesses, to work as a catalyst for economic growth and community pride.
Main Street 4-Point Approach™
- Design enhances the unique visual qualities of downtown by addressing elements that create an appealing physical environment. Good design helps create the physical image of the downtown as a quality place to shop, work, walk, invest in and live. Design improvements result in a reinvestment of public and private dollars to downtown.
- Organization builds consensus and cooperation between the many individuals and groups who have a role in the vitality of our downtown. Everyone must work together and a strong organization provides the stability to build and maintain a long-term effort.
- Promotion creates excitement downtown. It reinforces and markets a positive image to customers, potential investors, new businesses, local citizens and visitors based on the unique attributes of a downtown district.
- Economic Development involves analyzing current market forces to strengthen downtown’s existing economic assets while finding ways to fully develop its market potential.
- Safety is a fifth committee that the Olympia Downtown Association has added. The safety of downtown is very important to the Olympia Downtown Association. Many community members are part of the Safety Committee.
Nationally certified Main Street communities in Washington State:
- Bainbridge Island Downtown Association
- Historic Downtown Chelan Association
- Ellensburg Downtown Association
- Gig Harbor Historic Waterfront Association
- Historic Downtown Kennewick Partnership
- Mount Vernon Downtown Association
- Olympia Downtown Association
- Port Angeles Downtown Association
- Port Townsend Main Street Program
- Historic Downtown Prosser Association
- Puyallup Main Street Association
- Downtown Walla Walla Foundation
- Wenatchee Downtown Association