The Downtown Academy is a free education series open to everyone.
Downtown Academies will be held on the fourth Friday from 8:30 to 9:30 am most months in 2014.
Upcoming Downtown Academy program:
Due to high interest in Friday’s safety Academy, the location has been moved to City Hall council chambers.
This month’s Downtown Academy is an update on safety initiatives in downtown Olympia. The original Academy was January 24. Come learn what progress has been made since January!
Thurston County Prosecutor Jon Tunheim will team up with City of Olympia Police Chief Ronnie Roberts to discuss joint efforts for law enforcement in downtown Olympia. Discussion will focus on downtown safety.
Please join us Friday, August 22 from 8:30 to 9:30 am at the New Caldonia Atrium for an interactive discussion at this Downtown Academy.
Space is limited so registration is required. Register now!
2014 Downtown Academy schedule:
The Downtown Academy is held from 8:30 am to 9:30 am at the New Caldonia Atrium unless otherwise indicated.
Update on downtown safety
OPD Chief Ronnie Roberts and Prosecuting Attorney Jon Tunheim
If you are interested in being on the email list for the Downtown Academy or if you have a suggestion for a Downtown Academy topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Downtown Academy topics:
- Sell More, Spend Less
- Social Media
- Human Resources
- Historic Downtown Olympia – Guidelines for Preserving and Restoring Commercial Properties
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CEPTED)
- Coffee Talk
- Fraud – Employee Theft and Embezzlement
- How to Talk to People on the Street
- Target Marketing – State Workers and Lakefair Attendees
- Energy Efficiency
- Initiative 1082 – Proposed Initiative for Privatization of Workman’s Compensation Insurance in Washington State
- Workplace Safety
- Small Business Resources
- How to Benefit from Major Events
- How to Handle Shoplifting and Unwanted Behavior
- The Power of Email Marketing
- Visual Merchandising Displays
- The Preventable Dangers of Identity Theft and Fraud
- Doing Business with the City of Olympia
- PSE’s Energy Efficiency Programs and Services for Businesses
- City of Olympia planning and updates on initiatives affecting downtown
- How social media can work for your business
- How to attract visitors
- Revitalizing urban transit corridors
- First Friday think tank
- The economics of historic preservation and downtown revitalization
- Guerilla marketing
- Update on Intercity Transit news
- Update on downtown projects
- Cross-promotional partnership opportunities with the Hands On Children’s Museum
- Safety and security
- Emergency preparedness
- Social media
- Law enforcement efforts in downtown Olympia
- From buddy to boss, five tips on employer/employee relations
- Creating Artspace in Olympia
- Maritime history
- Secret Shopper
Email the ODA to be added to our list to be notified of the next Downtown Academy.
Email the ODA if you have suggestions for a topic for the Downtown Academy.
Are you interested in volunteering for the ODA? Click here to view our volunteer opportunities.