The Downtown Academy is a free education series open to everyone.
Downtown Academies will be held on the fourth Friday from 8:30 to 9:30 am most months in 2014.
Upcoming Downtown Academy program:
Downtown businesses participated in another Secret Shopper program during May and early June. Join our June Downtown Academy for feedback on how downtown Olympia rates in customer service and ideas on how to get your share of the $291 million visitor dollars that are generated in Thurston County each year. George Sharp, Executive Director of the Olympia Lacey Tumwater Visitor and Convention Bureau will showcase what visitors are currently experiencing in downtown Olympia and provide some ideas on how to entice visitors and residents into your businesses and to return again and again. He’ll offer clever thoughts on how to create loyal and repeat customers. Join us for a Thumbs-up Fun! Experience on Friday, June 27 from 8:30 to 9:30 am at the New Caldonia Building.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 357-8948.
2014 Downtown Academy schedule:
The Downtown Academy is held from 8:30 am to 9:30 am at the New Caldonia Atrium unless otherwise indicated.
Visitor perspective of downtown (round two secret shopper)
George Sharp, Visitor & Convention Bureau
If you are interested in being on the email list for the Downtown Academy or if you have a suggestion for a Downtown Academy topic, email email@example.com.
Previous Downtown Academy topics:
- Sell More, Spend Less
- Social Media
- Human Resources
- Historic Downtown Olympia – Guidelines for Preserving and Restoring Commercial Properties
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CEPTED)
- Coffee Talk
- Fraud – Employee Theft and Embezzlement
- How to Talk to People on the Street
- Target Marketing – State Workers and Lakefair Attendees
- Energy Efficiency
- Initiative 1082 – Proposed Initiative for Privatization of Workman’s Compensation Insurance in Washington State
- Workplace Safety
- Small Business Resources
- How to Benefit from Major Events
- How to Handle Shoplifting and Unwanted Behavior
- The Power of Email Marketing
- Visual Merchandising Displays
- The Preventable Dangers of Identity Theft and Fraud
- Doing Business with the City of Olympia
- PSE’s Energy Efficiency Programs and Services for Businesses
- City of Olympia planning and updates on initiatives affecting downtown
- How social media can work for your business
- How to attract visitors
- Revitalizing urban transit corridors
- First Friday think tank
- The economics of historic preservation and downtown revitalization
- Guerilla marketing
- Update on Intercity Transit news
- Update on downtown projects
- Cross-promotional partnership opportunities with the Hands On Children’s Museum
- Safety and security
- Emergency preparedness
- Social media
- Law enforcement efforts in downtown Olympia
- From buddy to boss, five tips on employer/employee relations
- Creating Artspace in Olympia
- Maritime history
Email the ODA to be added to our list to be notified of the next Downtown Academy.
Email the ODA if you have suggestions for a topic for the Downtown Academy.
Are you interested in volunteering for the ODA? Click here to view our volunteer opportunities.