The Downtown Academy is a free education series open to everyone.
Downtown Academies will be held on the fourth Friday from 8:30 to 9:30 am most months in 2014.
Upcoming Downtown Academy program:
Please join us for this month’s Downtown Academy presented by Andrea Ballard with Expecting Change. The workshop is From Buddy to Boss, designed to help small businesses who understand that being the boss often means walking a tightrope between “being friendly” and “being friends.” Andrea will share five tips to keep your employer/employee relationships positive and professional.
Andrea Ballard, SPHR, brings a unique, common sense perspective to the business of HR. She is certified by the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR). As a certified coach, she helps employees navigate sticky situations with wise counsel and common sense tactics. As a former HR Director and Training Manager, she helps companies solve their most pressing people problems to attract and retain top talent.
Please RSVP so we will have enough coffee!
email@example.com | (360) 357-8948
2014 Downtown Academy schedule:
The Downtown Academy is held from 8:30 am to 9:30 am at the New Caldonia Atrium unless otherwise indicated.
Law enforcement efforts in downtown Olympia
Speakers: Olympia Police Chief, Ronnie Roberts, and Thurston County Prosecuting Attorney, Jon Tunheim
From buddy to boss, five tips on employer/employee relations
Speaker: Andrea Ballard, Expecting Change
Creating Artspace in Olympia
Speaker: Kris Tucker, Olympia Artspace Alliance
If you are interested in being on the email list for the Downtown Academy or if you have a suggestion for a Downtown Academy topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Downtown Academy topics:
- Sell More, Spend Less
- Social Media
- Human Resources
- Historic Downtown Olympia – Guidelines for Preserving and Restoring Commercial Properties
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CEPTED)
- Coffee Talk
- Fraud – Employee Theft and Embezzlement
- How to Talk to People on the Street
- Target Marketing – State Workers and Lakefair Attendees
- Energy Efficiency
- Initiative 1082 – Proposed Initiative for Privatization of Workman’s Compensation Insurance in Washington State
- Workplace Safety
- Small Business Resources
- How to Benefit from Major Events
- How to Handle Shoplifting and Unwanted Behavior
- The Power of Email Marketing
- Visual Merchandising Displays
- The Preventable Dangers of Identity Theft and Fraud
- Doing Business with the City of Olympia
- PSE’s Energy Efficiency Programs and Services for Businesses
- City of Olympia planning and updates on initiatives affecting downtown
- How social media can work for your business
- How to attract visitors
- Revitalizing urban transit corridors
- First Friday think tank
- The economics of historic preservation and downtown revitalization
- Guerilla marketing
- Update on Intercity Transit news
- Update on downtown projects
- Cross-promotional partnership opportunities with the Hands On Children’s Museum
- Safety and security
- Emergency preparedness
- Social media
- Law enforcement efforts in downtown Olympia
Email the ODA to be added to our list to be notified of the next Downtown Academy.
Email the ODA if you have suggestions for a topic for the Downtown Academy.
Are you interested in volunteering for the ODA? Click here to view our volunteer opportunities.